Thursday, September 16, 2010

Still pondering the "Win" thing!!! I think I am stuck on this!!!!

I just read Professors post on video games...and what if school was a video game?...When I think of winning something...I think of a game..or race...or?????  I know an awlful lot of kids that would love to tap into that.  I think that "pleasure" is only possible if the learner is engaged..and wants to be engaged.  Everyone has "something" that they are into...and that interest and investment makes something worth "winning?" Accomplishment of the task..could be a form of winning...but again I ask...how do I convince them of the worth of the task to begin with?  How do I I lure them into the den to fight the lion?  Perhaps the TOOL could be the bait of interest. 

4 comments:

  1. Look at me - I am going to post a comment on my own post. It did get me thinking a bit (am I talking to myself again?) That IEP idea. The tapping into indivduals by knowing them and designing learning through things that they are interested in? I seem to be obsessed with this construct.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the first step in convincing somebody that the task is worthwhile is believing it yourself. i've met a lot of teachers who don't believe that what they're teaching is really worthwhile. that's an attitude that puzzles me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Games motivate students. They become engaged in a learning activity. Games allow the student to apply critical thinking skills. To motivate students we have to gain their attention. Games make this task easier.

    It is our duty to convince the student that their learning experience is worthwhile. We need to gain the trust of the students. As Dr. Lowell pointed out, we must convince them that we believe the task with worthwhile ourselves. We need to be excited about the learning experience in order to project the image that the task is worthwhile. It is hard to sell a product if you do not believe in that product.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we get stuck on the instructional side of teaching and don't want to go out. Do you seem to see your teaching as a habit? I use Blackboard to teach my classes and I know you can keep your export your information to import it for the next semester. I don't do that, oh don't get me wrong I have the original I set up, but I change it. Each class is a little different so I change the discussion classes based on what they want to learn. I believe in this day and time everyone needs to know basic computing. You need it for just about everything you do. I also have to teach MS Office, but like to throw in different things. I agree with Dr. Lowell you have to like what your teaching, why would you want to keep up or learn anything more if you didn't.

    ReplyDelete