Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Day Three EDD 800 - Summer Residency

Day Three was actually very emotional for me.  As I sat in the luncheon, I did think about my journey so far with the doctoral program, the people who have assisted me, and the relationships that I am forming.  It made me sad, when we did the exercise about listing the three people you cared about the most…all my life I can remember putting Paul’s name down as the most important person in my life…the one who supported me the most.   Dr. Barnett reflected on keeping your relationships in the forefront of importance as you journey through the process…life is short…and you want it all to be worthwhile and meaningful in every way.  I often visualize myself walking across the podium to accept my diploma, and wishing that Paul would be there to share one of the greatest joys of my life, but I know that the journey must be for my own self-satisfaction.   I feel an important part of a Morehead “first” and honored to be contributing back to the University with my capstone project.  That was part of the reason that I wanted to share in a project that would actually give back to the students of Morehead.    I feel like it is part of a small “pay it forward” act on my part.  And even though I did not create the idea for the program, I will get to help formulate it with my feedback and opinions.  This was a major reason that I wanted to be in the first cohort – so that I could contribute and be a part of something being created for the first time.  I could participate in a small part of history – something that would be meaningful to someone and myself.

Today Craig Robertson shared these thoughts on Generative Leadership.  The purpose is to develop spiritual leaders who model community that learns and leads together.  It is important to create environments that foster transformation…one that establishes processes that produce fruit.  That is how I feel about our cohort…we will be a team that produces fruit. 

His take on groups and teams were interesting…and the importance of Trust and Unity to promote change and growth.  His various stories and quotations illustrated the importance of rebirth, reinventing, and revitalization - the importance of radical change and the methodology of discover, develop and deploy.  He also touched upon the importance of building that operational trust through love, learning, and leading. 

The entire theme of the day centered around relationships, community, and the “We not I concept”.  It did make me reflect on the importance of being connected and relational.  Being here with the other members of my cohort reminds me that I am not alone in the process and though miles separate me from them, we will be bonded forever because of the journey.  We are like the explorers of old, blazing new trails, experiencing trial and error in the process, and claiming new territory for ourselves.  Until tomorrow Trail Blazers…

No comments:

Post a Comment